Equitable access to health technology is a key priority of the Australian Government’s National Strategic Action Plan for Rare Diseases. Rare Voices Australia (RVA) and the rare disease sector have been actively advocating for reform that makes health technology assessment (HTA) for rare disease therapies more fit-for-purpose.
Health Technology Assessment Policy and Methods Review
The HTA Policy and Methods Review (the HTA Review) is being conducted by the Department of Health and Aged Care and is an opportunity to ensure Australia’s HTA policy is constantly improving under evaluation.
Rare Disease Sector Webinar: Health Technology Assessment Policy and Methods Review
As part of RVA’s ongoing HTA advocacy, we encourage rare disease organisations/groups to participate in the HTA Review in ways that align with their capacity. To support this, RVA facilitated a webinar on Monday, 8 May 2023.
- Ann Single – HTA Policy and Methods Review Reference Committee
- Jo Watson – Chair, HTA Consumer Consultative Committee
- Nicole Millis – Chief Executive Officer, RVA
- Louse Healy – Education and Advocacy Manager, RVA (Host/Q&A Moderator)
This Webinar Covered:
- What is HTA?
- What is the HTA Review and why is it being done?
- How can consumers get involved in the HTA Review?
- The information, evidence and input the HTA Policy and Methods Review Reference Committee are seeking from consumers
- The enhanced consumer engagement process and an update on work already underway
- HTA and rare disease therapies
- Key messages aligned with the Action Plan
RVA has also created a companion resource for rare disease organisations/groups that is available to download inside the course.